Tuesday, February 10, 2009

pink path

pink path
pastel on Sennelier LaCarte paper 6"x6"

This picture definitely had a mind of it's own. It's not what I intended it to be, but somewhere in the process I decided not to fight it.
It became an exercise in seeing how slight differences in value can really shape a landscape
. I don't usually paint in the little-hatch-mark technique, but it is such an interesting way to layer and visually blend colors. It's nice that you don't ever feel that you've made a mistake, as almost anything can be covered with more layers of little marks.
Normally I have trouble keeping my fingers out of the painting (too much blending), but with this method the temptation isn't really there- it's easy to see how that would spoil the picture, so I'm happy to say my hands are clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment