Saturday, March 21, 2009

the gravel road

the gravel road
pastel on Uart sample 3"x5"



I previously did a small oil version of this scene, in a square format which I preferred. Here is a very small pastel version, a late night, just-gotta-get-my-fingers-dusty little painting.

I'm trying out a new paper-Uart. This is my first experience with it done on a little sample sent to me my an art supply store. (I confess, I photoshop-ed the staple holes out of it.) So far I like it a lot, but then this is a very small piece. I'm wanting to do more watercolor underpaintings and I think it will work well for this. It also gives you options about how "gritty" you want your surface to be. I'm looking forward to doing some experimenting on larger sheets.




4 comments:

  1. Which "grit" was this? I just tried a sheet of the really fine stuff recently. It was nice but perhaps too fine (filled up the tooth immediately with my soft pastels. I don't use hard pastels). Did you color it somehow first, or just use the tan sort of color it comes with?
    I really like this piece a lot, its serenity and composition. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I just noticed the size of it! Wow! How did you get all that detail in there at that size?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jala,
    This was done on the 600. I don't know if you are familiar with Uart. It comes 400,500,600,800 (coarsest to finest). I was told that Wallis is close to 500 and that seems a little too rough to me at times. I think I might like the 600.
    I didn't do any sort of underpainting on this one, but I'm hoping to do that on the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you controlled the content just so for the size. You really have a wonderful eye, Jean.

    ReplyDelete