Tuesday, March 17, 2009

winter waterway

winter waterway
pastel on paper 9"x12"


I ordered some new colors to fill in some gaps in my pastel box and they arrived just in time since I was about half finished with this picture. I like to order individual pastels in colors that I've been feeling a need for. Usually it's not long before I wonder how I got along without them. This may not be finished. It feels like it's still in process. If it changes significantly, I'll post it again.

And here is a picture of the nice pastel box that my husband built for me. It's made of mahogany and birch. He's quite a woodworker, huh? You should see the beautiful frames that he builds when I paint a picture worthy of it. The box has a lid that fits snugly and is held on by a couple of elastic and velcro straps. I didn't want a lot of buckles or handles to catch on things. It fits nicely in a daypack so that I can take it along easily. This was taken before the new pastels, the last time I sort of cleaned it up a bit. I'm always curious about other artists' setup, so I thought maybe folks would like to see it.




4 comments:

  1. Jeannie....the foreground is amazing. This painting has so much depth. In my humble opinion, I wouldn't change it much. Your paintings have the emotion we all strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific painting, jean. I love the ellipses, and the value of the river. The grass works great in the foreground - which is hard to achieve.

    Brilliant box, too. Is the floor hardboard? What dimensions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee thanks Kat and Casey.

    Casey- the box is 12 x 16 x 1.5. The floor and top are 1/4 inch birch plywood. The outer frame part and the little trough are mahogany. It's very light. I have some squishy fleece fabric under the pastels and a thin piece of foam in the lid to cushion the pastels. It works very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely painting.

    How do you not feel the need for EVERY color in existence?!

    ReplyDelete