Monday, February 16, 2009

small bird

small bird
pastel on Canson paper

This painting is from 2 days ago. A fat little bird. I believe it's a sparrow.

I don't really like Canson paper, but I can work on it without the worry of ruining a "good" piece of paper. And since I was on the road, I packed light and took a few sheets of paper and my box of Rembrandt pastels, my first pastels. These days I use an assortment of Schminke, Unison, Great American and a few Mount Vision. I prefer Schminke for their buttery softness.

You will probably never see today's painting. I tried painting with oils again, and remembered why I love pastels. So, that's a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. So lovely!

    I don't like Canson paper either...it fills in too fast. I love how Schminkes feel too (buttery soft) but I haven't figured out how to use them except for tiny finishing touches, because otherwise they fill in all the tooth immediately. Is this what you find, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little birds don't use much paper. I like Canson paper (the smooth side too!), but only when I know I must work fast without too much buildup.

    ReplyDelete